All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is perhaps t too much of an exaggeration to claim that experimental hematology as it flourishes today originated largely from the pioneering attempts to protect lethally radiated animals (1) by shielding of hemopoietic tissues by L. O. Jacobson (9), and (2) by treatment with bone marrow suspensions by E. Lorenz and his col- laborators (12). The site chosen for this annual meeting of the International Society for Experi- mental Hematology is given a special historic sig- nificance by the fact that it was 25 years ago that the first publication on this subject by Lorenz ap- peared from his laboratory at the National Insti- tutes of Health. Lorenz's discovery marked the beginning of a period which lasted until 1956, during which the protection afforded by hemopoietic cell suspensions was confirmed by many. This soon led to an intensive scientific de- bate on the mechanism of this protective effect: was it due to a humoral factor produced and pro- vided by the bone marrow-as Lorenz The Appearance of postulated-or to transplantation and subsequent proliferation of hemop- etic cells? This question was defini- 1 the Multipotential tively answered in 1956 by evidence from three different laboratories (7, 15, 26), which demonstrated the origin of the cells Hemopoietic in the repopulated tissues using a variety of cellu- lar and immulogic markers. By the same token, these contributions marked the birth of radiation Stem Cell chimeras.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication08/11/2011
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleExperimental Hematology Today
- Series Part/Volume Number1977
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note13 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight676 g
- Width210 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byG. David Ledney,S. J. Baum
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1977
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $21.91Trending at AU $29.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.