Experimenting with Humans and Animals: From Galen to Animal Rights by Anita Guerrini (Paperback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.75Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $38.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExperimentation on animals and particularly humans is often assumed to be a uniquely modern phemen. But the ideas and attitudes that encourage the biological and medical sciences to experiment on living creatures date from the earliest expression of Western thought. In Animal and Human Experimentation, Anita Guerrini looks at the history of these practices from vivisection in ancient Alexandria to present-day battles over animal rights and medical research employing human subjects. Guerrini discusses in-depth key historical episodes in the use of living beings in science and medicine, including the discovery of blood circulation, the development of smallpox and polio vaccines, and recent AIDS research. She also explores the rise of the antivivisection movement in Victorian England, the modern animal rights movement, and current debates over gene therapy. In this highly accessible text, we learn how our understanding of an animal's capacity to feel pain has evolved. Guerrini reminds us that the ethical values of science seldom stray far from those of the society in which scientists live and work. Ethical questions about the use of animals and humans in research remain among the most vexing within both the scientific community and society at large. These often rancorous arguments have gone on, however, with little awareness of their historical antecedents. Animal and Human Experimentation offers students and concerned general readers on every side of this debate a context within which to understand more fully the responsibility we all bear for the suffering inflicted on other living beings in the name of scientific kwledge.
- Author BiographyAnita Guerrini is the Horning Professor in the Humanities and professor of history at Oregon State University, Corvallis.
- Author(s)Anita Guerrini
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication02/07/2003
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Series TitleJohns Hopkins Introductory Studies in the History of Science
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note22, 22 black & white halftones
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $69.17
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $80.10
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.39
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $22.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.