All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book studies the relationship and balance of power between experts and laymen. It is rooted in the author's analysis of customer and contractor interactions in the housing industry, but relevant to other kinds of expert-layman relationships. Many of the conflicts between customer and contractor ted by the author also occur in lawyer-client, student-teacher, and doctor-patient relations. The author's research is structured around three core categories pertaining to experts' relations with laymen: choosing experts, power symmetry, and what he calls elsewhereism. The first category has to do with seeking experts, finding them, referrals, and judging whether or t to use experts. Power symmetry concerns the inherent imbalance of power between an expert and a layman. Elsewhereism focuses on the constant competition that laymen face with unseen others in claiming the time and services of an expert. Experts versus Laymen broadens the analysis of expert-layman phemena far beyond similar studies. It examines processes of bidding, gaining information, inspecting and evaluating work, winning trust, bargaining over costs, and determining who has situational control. This book discusses t only the contracting process in the housing industry, but-far more important-a world of power and domination in expert-laymen relationships.
- Author BiographyBarney G. Glaser is an American sociologist and one of the founders of the grounded theory methodology.
- Author(s)Barney G. Glaser
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Weight525 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.