Exploding the Reading: Building a World of Responses from One Small Story by David Booth (Paperback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $40.05Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $54.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExploding the Reading encourages teachers to incorporate a variety of response modes in order to expand student meaning-making. Based on learning generated by one 200-year-old folktale used by 30 teachers and a thousand kids, the book explores how to dig deep inside the story. It demonstrates that when students share their personal interpretations with others, they alter, grow, reframe, and extend their understanding of the text. The author of this intriguing book argues that it takes two to read a book. He reasons that bouncing ideas off others guides students to their deeper thoughts and challenges them to rethink their views and increase their understanding. Exploding the Reading shows teachers how to help students discover the world outside the text as well: the origins, the connections, the places, the values, and the different perceptions readers have. It illustrates how to transpose that original text into other forms that let students look at the text with different eyes, to ponder what might have been, to challenge the content, and to add the new learning to their construct of the world. This practical book maintains that teachers need to expand their repertoire of useful response modes that students can draw upon including different forms, formats, and media. Throughout the book, authentic student samples and actual transcripts present students experiencing the featured story through poems, telling's, visuals, blogs, art, conversation, and more.
- Author BiographyDavid Booth is Professor Emeritus at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto, Canada, where he has trained teachers to use innovative ways to promote literacy among children for more than 30 years. At present, he is also the Elizabeth Thorn Chair of Literacy at Nippising University, Canada. A popular international speaker, David has delighted thousands with his energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to all forms of literacy. The author of many books for teachers and parents, and texts for classroom use, he is also an award-winning writer of children's picture books.
- Author(s)David Booth
- PublisherPembroke Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationOttawa
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintPembroke Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight376 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.