All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBehavioral archaeology, defined as the study of people-object interactions in all times and places, emerged in the 1970s, in large part because of the invative work of Michael Schiffer and colleagues. This volume provides an overview of how behavioral archaeology has evolved and how it has affected the field of archaeology at large. The contributors to this volume are Schiffer's former students, from his first doctoral student to his most recent. This generational span has allowed for chapters that reflect Schiffer's research from the 1970s to 2012. They are icoclastic and creative and approach behavioral archaeology from varied perspectives, including archaeological inference and chrology, site formation processes, prehistoric cultures and migration, modern material culture variability, the study of techlogy, object agency, and art and cultural resources. Broader questions addressed include models of inference and definitions of behavior, study of techlogy and the causal performances of artifacts, and the implications of artifact causality in human communication and the flow of behavioral history.
- Author BiographyWilliam H. Walker is a professor of anthropology at New Mexico State University, USA. He is the coauthor of The Joyce Well Site: On the Frontier of the Casas Grandes World (University of Utah Press, 2002) and Expanding Archaeology (University of Utah Press, 1995). James M. Skibo is Distinguished Professor of Anthropology at Illinois State University, USA. He is coeditor of the Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory, editor of the Foundations of Archaeological Inquiry series, and author of numerous books on anthropology and archaeology, including Ants for Breakfast (University of Utah Press, 1999).
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Content Note20 maps, 54 illustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byJames M. Skibo,William H. Walker
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.