Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionIs alchemy the quest for transforming base metals into gold? Or is it a metaphor for spiritual transformation, or else the pursuit of the elixir of eternal life? Or is it, as some people think, merely an early attempt at chemistry?Alchemy can be as elusive as mercury, one of the chief materials that it uses. Like quicksilver, it has a shape-shifting nature, and cant easily be pinned down to one fixed interpretation. Whatever form it takes, however, the alchemical process is one in which transformation plays a key role, and in the best traditions, this involves the soul of the alchemist as well as the material in the alchemical vessel. In Explore Alchemy , Cherry Gilchrist shows how alchemy has been at the heart of human wisdom from Taoist sages, through medieval Arabic magi, to heretical monks, twentieth century psychologists and modern day practitioners of the tradition. She reveals how alchemy has manifested in various ways, such as the distillation of alcohol, the invention of baroque music and the musical language of Monteverdi, the works of William Shakespeare, and the scientific insights of Sir Isaac Newton and his contemporary Robert Boyle. She provides a concise yet comprehensive guide to the complex wisdom of the alchemists.
- Author BiographyCherry Gilchrist read English and Anthropology at Cambridge, and holds a post-graduate diploma in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology from the University of Bath Spa. She has a wide range of interests within the areas of the hermetic tradition, ancient cultures and mythology, and she is also a specialist in Russian traditional art and culture. Cherry is the author of over twenty books for adults and children, and she lectures for the arts organisation NADFAS, and for conferences, cruises and museums. She lives in the city of Bath, is a keen traveller, and has a love of singing and baroque music.
- Author(s)Cherry Gilchrist
- PublisherHeart of Albion Press
- Date of Publication05/04/2007
- SubjectThe Occult & Mythology
- Series TitleExplore Books
- Place of PublicationLoughborough
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintExplore Books
- Content Note29 b&w photos, 31 line drawings
- Width138 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.