All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Great Wall of China is the largest construction on earth, yet myths about it are more widely kwn than facts. The best way to appreciate the Great Wall is to explore it on foot. This richly illustrated book focuses on especially rewarding parts of the Ming Dynasty Wall (1368-1644). The book offers: walking tes on seven sections in detail; clear site plans of Badaling, Mutianyu and Simatai; two map panels showing the entire Wall network, plus one panel around Beijing (larger scale); practical information about transport and travel; introduction to Mandarin Chinese, Pinyin and pictographs; lavishly illustrated, with 70 colour photographs; rucksack-friendly format The sections include Laolongtou, where the Wall runs into the sea, and Panjiakou reservoir, a tranquil hike and boat trip. The glorious stretch from Simatai to Jinshanling runs along high ridges with 30 watch towers, and the Badaling and Mutianyu sections are surprisingly accessible from Beijing. The book sets the Ming Wall in the context of wall systems developed by different dynasties since the seventh century BC.
- Author BiographyJacquetta Megarry is an enthusiastic walker turned publisher. She devised the Rucksack Reader format in 2000 to suit the needs of hikers. She has visited China several times, mainly to research and take photographs for this book.
- Author(s)Jacquetta Megarry
- PublisherRucksack Readers
- Date of Publication04/11/2003
- FormatSpiral bound
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationDunblane
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRucksack Readers
- Content Note70 colour photographs
- Weight177 g
- Width145 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $84.36
- AU $25.54Trending at AU $39.58
- AU $40.28Trending at AU $43.27
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $26.52
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.86
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $21.76
- AU $12.95Trending at AU $15.83
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.