All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis unique hiking guide to the southern Appalachian mountains leads readers to explore the rich forest ecosystems and other natural communities visitors encounter along the trail. Drawing on years of experience guiding forest walks throughout the region, Steph Jeffries and Tom Wentworth invite hikers and nature lovers to see their surroundings in new ways. Readers will learn to decipher clues from the tree capies, forest floor, and other natural features to appreciate more fully the environmental factors that make the southern Appalachians home to an amazing biodiversity. These thirty popular hikes in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia range from short walks along Blue Ridge Parkway pull-offs to longer day trips in the region's backcountry. Offering spectacular mountain scenery and natural wildflower gardens, these trails are the perfect place to gain a new appreciation for the natural communities of the region. Features include: A summary including distance, difficulty, and GPS coordinates for each hike, a narrative description of each hike, including the unique natural features waiting to be discovered, detailed instructions to keep you on the trail, best seasons to go for wildflower and foliage views, contact information for each area, photos and maps to orient you, an illustrated guide to southern Appalachia's most common trees and shrubs, including tips on identification.
- Author BiographyStephanie B. Jeffries is Teaching Assistant Professor in the Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources at North Carolina State University, USA. Thomas R. Wentworth is Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor of Plant and Microbial Biology at North Carolina State University, USA.
- Author(s)Stephanie B. Jeffries,Thomas R. Wentworth
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2014
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSouthern Gateways Guides
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.