All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA beautiful and simple introduction to the Book of Kells, one of the world's most famous illuminated manuscripts, with a newly-expanded colour plate section. Here George Otto Simms, a world-rewned authority on the Book of Kells, reveals the mysteries hidden in this magnificent manuscript. He introduces the monks who made the book and guides the reader through the intricate detail of this ancient and exotic book. Also available in French, German, Spanish and Japanese.
- Author BiographyGeorge Otto Simms was born in Dublin in 1910. He took his BA, MA, BD, PhD, and DD degrees at Trinity College, Dublin. Ordained a priest of the Church of Ireland in 1936, he spent his working life in the service of the church and was Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland from 1969 until his retirement in 1980. A noted scholar and historian, he lectured and wrote extensively, particularly on The Book of Kells, on which he was internationally recognised as an expert. For almost 40 years he contributed a weekly religious feature,'Thinking Aloud', to the Irish Times. George Otto Simms died in 1991. Exploring the Book of Kells was Dr. Simms first book for the younger reader and received wide acclaim. It was a winner of the Reading Association of Ireland Award, and together with his second book for children, Brendan the Navigator, Exploring the Ancient World, was joint winner of the BISTO Book of the Decade Award. His third and last book prior to his death was St. Patrick, The Real Story of Patrick, who became Ireland's Patron Saint.
- PrizesWinner of Bisto Book of the Decade Award 1991.
- Author(s)George Otto Simms
- PublisherO'Brien Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleExploring
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- First Published1992
- ImprintO'Brien Press Ltd
- Content Note32 colour illustrations, 60 black & white illustrations
- Weight158 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Illustrator(s)David Rooney,Eoin O'Brien
- Edition StatementExpanded colour plate section
- Reading AgeFrom 12
- Interest AgeFrom 12
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.