Exploring the Islands of Scotland: The Ultimate Practical Guide by Julian Holland (Hardback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $62.15Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $39.06+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGeologically unique, rich in flora and fauna, wild, remote and steeped in history, the many islands around the long and rugged coastline of Scotland are among the most unspoilt and beautiful destinations to be found anywhere on our crowded planet. Formed during massive and violent upheavals in the Earth's crust nearly three billion years ago and later eroded and shaped by the action of ice, the islands of Scotland also bear the scars of thousands of years of human occupation. From Neolithic settlements, chambered burial tombs, megalithic stone circles, and Iron Age brochs, to early Celtic Christian chapels, Viking place names, clan fortresses, deserted townships of the infamous 'clearances' and more modern relics of both world wars, the islands of Scotland are a historical treasure trove second to ne. From the sand-blown machair of Tiree and the white shell-sand beaches of Barra to the towering sea-cliffs and stacks of remote St Kilda and the dramatic Cullins of Skye, the Scottish islands are famed worldwide for their beauty. Internationally recognised for their flora and fauna, the islands are also home to many important nature reserves that provide a safe haven for rare and endangered plant and bird species. The surrounding seas, rich in marine life, t only support vast colonies of seabirds but also large numbers of seal, whale, dolphin and porpoise. Exploring the Islands of Scotland is both beautiful and practical and t only provides the intrepid traveller with a fascinating insight into each island's history and flora and fauna, but also contains valuable information on how to get there, tourist information, what to see, where to stay and island walks.
- Author BiographyJulian Holland trained as an artist at Cheltenham College of Art before going on to study graphic design, illustration and photography. He fell into a career in publishing when he was offered his first job as a book designer for Readers Digest, followed by stints as a magazine designer before ending up as a designer and art editor for Dorling Kindersley. From 1977 Julian was involved in freelance book design and book packaging, until a close brush with the grim reaper in 2004 inspired him to change his career and become a full-time author and photographer, concentrating on his two favourite subjects of islands and railways.
- Author(s)Julian Holland
- PublisherFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication22/07/2008
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrances Lincoln Publishers Ltd
- Out-of-print date30/01/2012
- Content Note200 colour illustrations, 90 maps, 200 colour photographs, 90 maps
- Weight1052 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.