All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionMurder is often regarded as both the 'ultimate' and a unique crime, and whereas courts are rmally given discretion in sentencing offenders, for murder the sentence is mandatory - indeterminate imprisonment. Since the crime and the punishment come as a 'package deal' this book looks at both the legal nature of the offence and at the current operation of the mandatory life sentence. Not only does the book adopt a critical approach, by assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the status quo, it also draws upon comparative material from both common and civil law jurisdictions in an attempt to provide a comprehensive exploration of these issues. The need for public confidence in the criminal justice system is particularly acute in the way it deals with the most serious homicides. In this book the authors report findings from the first systematic exploration of public attitudes to sentencing murder in this or any other common law jurisdiction. The picture of public opinion emerging from this recent large-scale nationwide qualitative and quantitative survey, funded by the Nuffield Foundation, is likely to surprise many, and will be of interest to all jurisdictions where the mandatory life sentence for murder has been questioned.
- Author BiographyBarry Mitchell is Professor of Criminal Law and Criminal Justice at Coventry University. Julian V Roberts is Professor of Criminology at the University of Oxford.
- Author(s)Barry Mitchell,Julian V. Roberts
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication15/10/2012
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2012
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight346 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.