Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionATLAS is a particle physics experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN headquarters in Switzerland. This new atom smasher, the result of more than eighteen years of research, design and construction is a 7000 ton behemoth of metal, glass, cables and computer chips, with 27km of underground tunnels and thousands of magnets operating at below -270 Celsius. Protons, travelling at nearly the speed of light, collide within the heart of ATLAS, sending out showers of debris to recreate 30 million times a second the conditions that existed millionths of a second after the Big Bang, the event that many physicists believe set our universe in motion. The ATLAS experiment is the result of a Herculean collaboration of more than 2000 engineers and physicists from 36 countries. This is the fully-documented story of an extraordinary feat of engineering that may change our understanding of how our universe came into being.
- Author(s)Claudia Marcelloni,Kenway Smith,Kerry-Jane Lowery
- Date of Publication22/10/2008
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationNewbury
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight2000 g
- Width245 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.