All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionATLAS is a particle physics experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN headquarters in Switzerland. This new atom smasher, the result of more than eighteen years of research, design and construction is a 7000 ton behemoth of metal, glass, cables and computer chips, with 27km of underground tunnels and thousands of magnets operating at below -270 Celsius. Protons, travelling at nearly the speed of light, collide within the heart of ATLAS, sending out showers of debris to recreate 30 million times a second the conditions that existed millionths of a second after the Big Bang, the event that many physicists believe set our universe in motion. The ATLAS experiment is the result of a Herculean collaboration of more than 2000 engineers and physicists from 36 countries. This is the fully-documented story of an extraordinary feat of engineering that may change our understanding of how our universe came into being.
- Author(s)Claudia Marcelloni,Kenway Smith,Kerry-Jane Lowery
- Date of Publication22/10/2008
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationNewbury
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight2000 g
- Width245 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.