All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe world's strongest armies discover that Nature can be a secret ally or an unbeatable foe. Not even the strongest troops can match the power of nature. In each of the ten stories in this volume, well-armed forces set off to battle human enemies but find themselves fighting the environment instead. Sometimes a leader carefully plans the perfect attack, only to find geography in the way. Other times the climate interferes unexpectedly. In 119 BCE, General Wei Qing used a sand storm as cover and was able to attack the Xiongnu mads by surprise. Napoleon's plan to quickly subdue the Russians was foiled by the savage General Winter. A massive network of underground tunnels gave the Viet Cong guerillas an unbeatable advantage over the much stronger American forces. The battle between India and Pakistan over borders has pitted both countries against the inhospitable Siachen Glacier. Nature's obstacles have lead to crushing defeats, inspired accidental victories, and encouraged surprising invation.
- Author BiographyTanya Lloyd Kyi is the award-winning author of 16 books for young readers, including DNA Detective, When the Worst Happens, and 50 Poisonous Questions. She lives in Vancouver, British Columbia. Drew Shannon is a freelance illustrator whose clients have included Reader's Digest, New York Public Radio, NPR Music, and The Globe and Mail. He lives in Toronto, Ontario.
- Author(s)Tanya Lloyd-Kyi
- PublisherAnnick Press Ltd
- Date of Publication12/04/2016
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationOntario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintAnnick Press Ltd
- Content NoteColor photos and illustrations thoughout
- Weight385 g
- Width165 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Drew Shannon
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 4
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.