Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA dazzling new collection two vellas and four short stories from one of the most revered writers of our time, author of seven books of fiction, among them The Tunnel ( An extraordinary achievement Michael Dirda, The Washington Post ); Middle C ( Exhilaratingly ingenious Cynthia Ozick, The New York Times Book Review, cover); and Cartesian Sonata ( The finest prose stylist in America The Washington Post ). It begins with In Camera, the first of the two vellas, and tells the story, which grows darker and dustier by the speck, of a Mr. Gab (who doesn t have the gift) and his photography shop (in a part of town so drab even robbers wouldn t visit), a shop stuffed with gray-white, gray-bleach photographs, each in its own cellophane sheet, loosely side-filed in cardboard boxes, tag attached . . . an inner sanctum where little happens beyond the fulsome, deep reverence for Mr. Gab s images and vast collection, a homemade museum in the midst of the outer maelstrom . . . until a Mr. Stu (as in u-stew-pid) enters the shop, inspecting the extraordinary collection, and Mr. Gab s treasure-filled, dust-laden, meticulously contained universe begins to implode . . . In the story Don t Even Try, Sam, the upright pia from the 1942 Warner Bros. classic Casablanca is interviewed ( I kw why you want to talk to me, the pia says. It s because everybody else is dead.Stars go out.Directors die. Companies fold.But some of the props get preserved.I ve seen my friend the Vichy water bottle in the storeroom as wrapped up as the Maltese Falcon.We d fetch a price w ) . . . In ather story, Charity, a young lawyer, whose business it is to keep hospital equipment honestly produced, offers a simple gift and is brought to the ambiguous heart of charity itself. In Soliloquy for a Chair, a folding chair does just that talks in a barbershop that is ultimately bombed . . . and in The Toy Chest, Disneylike creatures take on human roles and concerns and live in an atmosphere of a child s imagination. An enchanting Gassian journey; a glorious fantasia; a virtuoso delight.
- Author BiographyWILLIAM H. GASS essayist, novelist, literary critic was born in Fargo, North Dakota. He is the author of seven works of fiction and nine books of essays, including Life Sentences, A Temple of Texts, and Tests of Time. Gass is a former professor of philosophy at Washington University. He lives with his wife, the architect Mary Gass, in St. Louis.
- Author(s)MR William H Gass
- PublisherKnopf Publishing Group
- Date of Publication13/10/2015
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKnopf Publishing Group
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width150 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $64.76New
- AU $52.05Used
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $52.89New
- AU $47.08Used
- AU $15.93New
- AU $7.98Used
- AU $16.42New
- AU $18.17New
- AU $15.81New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $12.56Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $24.46
- AU $24.34Trending at AU $25.98
- AU $33.77Trending at AU $35.62
- AU $18.40Trending at AU $28.24
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.