All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom its founding in 1842 the Citadel has been steeped in tradition. There have been changes through the years, but the basics of the military code and the plebe system have remained constant. Citadel graduate Tom Worley has crafted this collection of short stories about life at the South Carolina military academy during the 1960s. While the stories are fictional, they are inspired in part by his days as a student on the college campus. With humour and dramatic clarity, Worley reveals the harshness of the plebe system, how success is achieved through perseverance, and the character-building benefits of a Citadel education.
These seventeen stories are told from the perspective of two main characters--cadets Pete Creger and Sammy Graham--who are members of F Company. By turns surprising and entertaining, the collected stories range from the emotional and physical trials of being a kb in the plebe system, the brutality of hazing, and the fear and fun of company pranks, to the friendship and camaraderie the system fosters and the tremendous pride shared by those who wear the coveted Citadel ring.
Best kwn for its Corps of Cadets, the Citadel attracts students who desire a college education within a classical military system in which leadership and character training are essential parts of the overall experience. Any romanticized tion of military bravado is quickly shattered the moment students set foot on campus and their parents drive away. Many cadets are left wondering, What have I signed up for? Worley's stories shed light on the pain and the pride, explaining why, he says, most cadets at the Citadel hated the place while they were there and loved everything about it once they'd graduated. They were bonded together for life. Perhaps that's the greatest thing the Citadel did for them.
- Author BiographyTom Worley, a 1968 graduate of the Citadel and former member of the F Company, practices law in Charleston, South Carolina, USA. Worley is currently working on a new collection of short stories and a novel.
- Author(s)Tom Worley
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2014
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.66
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.