All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFranklin Roosevelt instinctively understood that a politician of his era who was unable to control his own body would be perceived as unable to control the body politic. He therefore took great care to hide his polio-induced lameness both visually and verbally. In FDR's Body Politics. Davis W. Houck and Amos Kiewe draw on never-before-used primary sources to analyze the silences surrounding Roosevelt's disability, the words he chose to portray himself and his policies as powerful and health-giving, and the methods he used to maximize the appearance of physical strength. They examine his broad strategies, as well as the speeches Roosevelt delivered during his political comeback after polio struck, to understand how he overcame the whispering campaign against him in 1928 and 1932. Ultimately, this is a story of triumph and courage that reveals a master politician's understanding of the body politic in the most fundamental of ways.
- Author BiographyDavis W. Houck is an assistant professor of communication at Florida State University in Tallahassee. His works include Rhetoric as Currency: Hoover, Roosevelt, and the Great Depression and FDR and Fear Itself: The First Inaugural Address, also published by Texas A&M University Press. AMOS Kiewe, director of the speech communications department and associate dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts at Syracuse University in New York, has written and edited several books, including The Modern Presidency and Crisis Rhetoric and A Shining City on a Hill; Ronald Reagan's Economic Rhetoric, 1951-1989.
- Author(s)Amos Kiewe,Davis W. Houck
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2003
- Series TitlePresidential Rhetoric Series
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 8
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note6 b&w photographs, bibliography, index
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.