All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeep learning is a committed approach to learning. It is a process of constructing and interpreting new kwledge in light of prior cognitive structures and experiences, which can be applied in new, unfamiliar contexts. Deep learning produces learning that lasts a lifetime; and it results in better quality learning and profound understanding. In contrast, surface learning involves a dispassionate approach to learning. The surface learner is t concerned with understanding. Information acquired is usually lost after examinations; and there is profound understanding or kwledge construction. Research studies show that most university and college students today take a surface approach to learning. The purpose of this book is to show readers how to create a learning environment that promotes deep learning in their classes. The book will do so by providing readers with the theoretical and pedagogical tools needed to: * Understand the tion of deep learning * Design and implement courses that encourage students to take a deep approach to learning * Design engaging and invative teaching and learning activities that encourage students to use higher-order cognitive skills to construct kwledge and negotiate meaning * Implement assessment tools aimed at facilitating the deep learning process * Support international and other ntraditional students to construct learning deeply. The book begins with an examination of the big picture: the institutional constraints that hinder a culture of deep learning. From there, it deconstructs the concept of deep learning, and it examines every element of the deep learning process. It also discusses the factors that contribute to produce a deep learning environment. The rest of the chapters are about how to facilitate deep learning. The book examines every component of the teaching and learning system: goals, performances, and evaluation. It discusses strategies and methods that teachers can adopt to help students learn how to read and write in their disciplines in a deep way. The book also discusses the tion of inclusive deep learning environments which focus on engaging ntraditional students.
- Author BiographyJulian Hermida, PhD, is associate professor at Algoma University's Department of Law (Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario). He is also the chair of Algoma's Teaching and Learning Committee. Julian has a very successful teaching practice of more than ten years of full-time teaching at all levels. Prior to joining Algoma, he taught at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada, where he was recognized with the 2004-2005 Award of Excellence for Teaching and Learning. A seasoned educational developer, Dr. Hermida has ample experience designing, implementing, and evaluating university-wide faculty development programs and initiatives. He has conducted educational development workshops and led seminars on teaching and learning in Canada, the United States, Europe, and Latin America. He has won several internal and external grants to fund his Scholarship of Teaching and Learning research projects on deep learning. Dr. Hermida holds master's and doctoral degrees from McGill University's Faculty of Law. He did his postdoctoral studies at the University of Ottawa. He has also received formal education and training in higher education teaching in a unique and intensive program offered at the University of Montreal as well as in educational development programs in Canada and the United States. These include the Best Teachers Institute and Alverno College Assessment workshop, among many others. He has published extensively on a wide array of teaching and learning topics. Together with his books and journal articles in the legal field, he has more than 80 publications, including several books.
- Author(s)Julian Hermida
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication30/06/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight635 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.