All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDaniel Simundson shows how the Bible can speak to the universal human experience of suffering. He examines various biblical responses to suffering and explains what the New Testament can add to the thought of such classic works as the books of Job, Ecclesiastes, and the prophets.
This book, written for the general reader, is also full of wisdom for caregivers, including clergy, counselors, and laypersons.
1. The Basic Biblical View of Suffering
2. The Power of Negative Thinking
3. Suffering for Others
4. God, Job, and the Counselors
5. Is There Any Hope?
6. What Is New in the New Testament?
7. Comfort and Hope
Professor Simundson suggests fresh ways for the resources of the Bible and demands of human life to meet each other. Faith Under Fire will be useful to Christians who in times of crisis wonder why and in times of well-being want to reflect on the meaning of life and faith.
-- Walter Brueggemann
This readable and wide-ranging introduction to an important subject will be of great value to Christian laypeople, students, and clergy who are interested in one of the deep mysteries of faith.
-- David M. Gunn
This book was originally published by Augsburg in 1980.
Daniel J. Simundson is Professor of Old Testament at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota. He received his B.D. degree from Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago and his Ph.D. degree from Harvard University, where he was also a teaching fellow. Throughout his career, Simundson has maintained what he considers the equally important roles of pastor and scholar. Among his other books are The Message of Job and Where Is God in My Suffering?
- Author(s)Daniel J Simundson
- PublisherAcademic Renewal Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1991
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Renewal Press
- Weight222 g
- Width140 mm
- Height219 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.43New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.80New
- AU $11.17Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $101.89Trending at AU $118.99
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.