All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionFaithomics uses ecomic theory to provide a new and urthodox view of religion in today's world. Drawing on state-of-the-art research and on case studies from around the globe, this book shows that religion should be analysed as a market similar to markets for other goods and services, like bottled water or haircuts. Faithomics is about today's religious markets, but in sweeping detours through the histories of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism, Brekke shows us the religious markets of the past, although these were sometimes heavily regulated by states. He argues that government 'control' over religious markets is often the cause of unforeseen and negative consequences. Many of today's problems related to religion, like religious terrorism or rent-seeking by religious political parties, are easier to understand if we think like ecomists. Religious markets work best when they are relatively free. Religious organizations should be free to sell their products without unnecessary restrictions, but we have good reason to grant them privileges in the form of subsidies or tax-breaks.
- Author BiographyTorkel Brekke is Deputy Director and Research Professor at the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO). He is also a research theme leader at the Centre for Research on Extremism (C-REX) at the University of Oslo and works part time for the liberal think tank Civita.
- Author(s)Research Fellow in the Department of Cultural Studies Torkel Brekke
- PublisherOxford University Press, USA
- Date of Publication15/10/2016
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press, USA
- Weight522 g
- Width147 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.