Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $30.56Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 16 Mar
- AU $34.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fastest animal alive, the falcon deserves attention t just for the combination of speed, power, beauty and ferocity that have made it an object of fascination for thousands of years, but for the light it sheds on the cultures through which it has flown. This book, bridging science and cultural history, surveys the practical and symbolic uses of falcons in human culture in new and exciting ways. Helen Macdonald describes the complete history of the bird, ranging across the globe and over many millennia, as well as incorporating the latest scientific discoveries. There are chapters on falcon natural history; myth and legend; falconry; conservation; falcons in the military, in urban settings and the corporate world. Along the way the reader will discover how falcons were mobilized in secret military projects, their links with espionage, the Third Reich and the space programme, and how they've featured in erotic stories. The book explores their veneration as gods in Ancient Egypt, their role as cultural icons in the Middle East, and their recruitment by the advertising industry to promote all manner of products, from photocopiers to jet planes. Falcon combines in-depth practical, personal and scientific kwledge of falcons with a strong analytical perspective on the place of these birds in human history. It will be enjoyed by specialists and n-specialists alike: lovers of the countryside, birdwatchers or anyone who has ever wondered why falcons are so compelling.
- Author BiographyHistorian of science, birdwatcher and falconer, Helen Macdonald has kept trained falcons since she was eleven years old. She has worked in falcon conservation biology in Britain and the United Arab Emirates, and is a Research Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge.
- Author(s)Helen Macdonald
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication09/01/2006
- SubjectPopular Science
- Series TitleAnimal S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Out-of-print date13/08/2016
- Content Note56 black & white illustrations, 45 colour illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.