All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionContemporary trends such as increased one-parent families, high divorce rates, second marriages and homosexual partnerships have all contributed to variations in the traditional family structure. But to what degree has the function of the family changed and how have these changes affected family roles in cultures throughout the world? This book attempts to answer these questions through a psychological study of families in thirty nations, carefully selected to present a diverse cultural mix. The study utilises both cross-cultural and indigeus perspectives to analyse variables including family networks, family roles, emotional bonds, personality traits, self-construal, and 'family portraits' in which the authors address common core themes of the family as they apply to their native countries. From the introductory history of the study of the family to the concluding indigeus psychological analysis of the family, this book is a source for students and researchers in psychology, sociology and anthropology.
- Author BiographyJames Georgas is Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Athens. John W. Berry is Professor Emeritus of Psychology at Queen's University, Canada. Fons van de Vijver is Professor of Cross-Cultural Psychology at Tilburg University and North-West University, South Africa. Cigdem Kagitcibasi is Professor of Psychology at Koc University, Istanbul. Ype H. Poortinga is Emeritus Professor of Cross-Cultural Psychology at Tilburg University and the University of Leuven.
- PrizesWinner of American Psychological Association Ursula Gielen Global Psychology Book Award 2008.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication03/08/2006
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 map 28 tables
- Weight1020 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Edited byCigdem Kagitcibasi,Fons J. R. van de Vijver,James Georgas,John Widdup Berry,Ype H. Poortinga
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.