All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionResilience is a fundamental therapeutic idea. A resilient person or family has the ability to stretch in response to difficult situations, managing well and rebounding with an increased capacity to deal with life's challenges. Unfortunately, therapists have a difficult time putting this powerful idea to work in the clinical setting. Becvar stresses that clinicians should t just help their clients engage in problem solving but that therapists need to collaborate with families in order to promote their abilities to cope with present and future crises. The goal of therapy is to identify and then augment these unique strengths in order to cope and, then, flourish. In Families that Flourish, Becvar describes the characteristics of families that function successfully, even when faced with seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Using a therapeutic perspective that integrates the perceptions of the clients into the therapist's own clinical approach, Becvar emphasizes the importance of including in therapy a consideration of ways to facilitate resilience. Guidelines for working with a wide variety of families and situations are provided, with case examples illustrating concepts and therapeutic interventions.
- Author BiographyDorothy S. Becvar, Ph.D., MSW is an Associate Professor in the School of Social Work at Saint Louis University. She has authored or co-authored many books, including In the Presence of Grief, Soul Healing, and Family Therapy: A Systemic Integration, 6th edition.
- Author(s)Dorothy S. Becvar
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication28/11/2006
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width162 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.