All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHusbands, wives, fathers, mothers, children, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents - these are the relationships that structure the family tree and fascinate the family historian. But how much do we really kw about how our ancestors lived out these multiple roles? Buffeted this way and that by ecomic developments, legal changes, medical advances, Two World Wars, the rise of the Welfare State, women's emancipation and many other factors, relationships between members of our family in the past were subtly different to those of today and continually transforming. This book is both a social history of the period 1800-1950 and a practical guide on how to set about tracing and better understanding the relationships between members of your own family. What did it mean to be a father in this period, but also, how might you discover the father of an ancestor if his name is t mentioned on the birth certificate? What common ideas were held about the role of wives and mothers, but also, how were multiple births, stillbirths, abortions and infanticides dealt with in the records? What factors might have influenced the size of your ancestor's family, but also why were its children named as they were? Did pecking order in a family matter, but also, was it legal to marry a cousin, or the sister of a deceased wife? How long could people expect to live, but also what records can tell you more about the circumstances of your ancestors' last years? A final chapter considers relationships with neighbours, friends and club associates.
- Author BiographyAfter a career in academia, education and editing, Ruth A. Symes now writes full-time. Her work, including many articles in the genealogy press and several family history books, brings together family history and social history in ways which aim to inspire the ordinary reader. Ruth is married with a young daughter and lives and works in Manchester. Her blog is at www.searchmyancestry.blogspot.co.uk.
- Author(s)Ruth Alexandra Symes
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Content Note50 integrated illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.