All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFood allergies affect millions of people including children and currently there are kwn 'cures' for these allergic reactions. The eight primary food allergies are to milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish, though someone may, also, be allergic to medication. Even trace amounts of a food allergen can cause a reaction. Symptoms like breathing difficulties, trouble swallowing, fainting or sharp increase in heart rate usually show up within minutes of exposure, though some take several hours or even twenty-four hours. So early identification and strict avoidance of kwn food allergens are essential to prevent serious health consequences. Schwartz recommends observing children carefully for patterns and discussing them with your paediatrician. A colicky baby might be allergic to milk or a nappy rash might show up every time after an infant eats eggs. Skin and blood tests are essential for a definitive diagsis. After Schwartz details the obvious and hidden sources of the eight main types of food allergies and shares savvy allergen-avoidance techniques, she devotes five chapters to various challenges and how to cope with them, in schools and restaurants, on public transport and other enclosed spaces and during family holidays. Ather chapter is chock-full of recipes like chewy grala bars, made without nuts or wheat and homemade vanilla ice cream, made without milk. Besides providing a wealth of helpful advice, Schwartz's overall message is supportive and positive: It's absolutely possible to live a full, active life with your food allergies.
- Author BiographyMireille Schwartz, who has food allergies and whose family members do, is the CEO and founder in 2007 of the Bay Area Allergy Advisory Board. A resident of San Francisco, she served on the Board of Directors of the leading worldwide resource on food allergies, the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN), from 2009 to 2011.
- Author(s)Mireille Schwartz
- PublisherBasic Health Publications
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationNorth Bergen,NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1900
- ImprintBasic Health Publications
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.