All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionScholarly and popular consensus has painted a picture of Indian Buddhist monasticism in which monks and nuns severed all ties with their families when they left home for the religious life. In this view, monks and nuns remained celibate, and those who faltered in their vows of monastic celibacy were immediately and irrevocably expelled from the Buddhist Order. This romanticized image is based largely on the ascetic rhetoric of texts such as the Rhiceros Horn Sutra.
Through a study of Indian Buddhist law codes (vinaya), Shayne Clarke dehorns the rhiceros, revealing that in their own legal narratives, far from reuncing familial ties, Indian Buddhist writers take for granted the fact that monks and nuns would remain in contact with their families. Surveying the still largely uncharted terrain of Indian Buddhist monastic law codes preserved in Sanskrit, Tibetan, and Chinese, Clarke provides a comprehensive, pan-Indian picture of Buddhist monastic attitudes toward family. Whereas scholars have often assumed that monastic Buddhism must be anti-familial, he demonstrates that these assumptions were clearly t shared by the authors/redactors of Indian Buddhist monastic law codes.
Shayne Clarke provides a basis to rethink later forms of Buddhist monasticism such as those found in Central Asia, Ka?m?r, Nepal, and Tibet t in terms of corruption and decline but of continuity and development of a monastic or renunciant ideal that we have yet to understand fully.
- Author BiographyShayne Clarke is associate professor in the department of religious studies at McMaster University, Canada.
- Author(s)Shayne Neil Clarke
- PublisherUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationHonolulu, HI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Weight621 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.