All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this collection of stories award-winning writer Steve Yarbrough effortlessly evokes the special qualities of small-town southern life as he examines-with subtle humor, keen insight, and unfailing sympathy-the relationships between ordinary men and women. Set in the Mississippi Delta, these stories chronicle the lives of men and women, often ecomically disadvantaged, who struggle through the complexities of life during the second half of the twentieth century. Though t explicitly political, the stories are set against a backdrop of a racially torn society in which inequality plays a daily role. Yarbrough's characters, though frequently baffled by life, achieve a kind of wisdom, if t happiness, through the bonds they develop. These eleven stories tell of a feisty, aging woman who finds pleasure in irritating her son-in-law, a barmaid who seeks to reorder her life by joining a church, a college student in an affair with an older woman, and a paralyzed country and western singer. Family Men is distinguished by seamless craftsmanship and shrewd insight into the human condition. Originally released in hardcover in 1990, Family Men was the first published story collection by Yarbrough. This Southern Revivals edition includes a new introduction by the author and a contextualizing preface from series editor Robert H. Brinkmeyer, director of the University of South Carolina Institute for Southern Studies.
- Author BiographySteve Yarbrough is the author of nine books including his latest novel, The Realm of Last Chances. His previous novels include Safe from the Neighbors, The End of California (a finalist for the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters Award for fiction), Prisoners of War (a finalist for the 2005 PEN/Faulkner Award), and The Oxygen Man (winner of the California Book Award, the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters Award for Fiction, and the Mississippi Authors Award). His work has appeared in Best American Short Stories, Best American Mystery Stories, and the Pushcart Prize Anthology and has also been published in Ireland, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Japan, and Poland. In 2010 Yarbrough won the Richard Wright Award.
- Author(s)Steve Yarbrough
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2017
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleSouthern Revivals
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $24.41Trending at AU $29.95
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.