All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1972, Peter Singer published Famine, Affluence and Morality, which rapidly became one of the most widely discussed essays in applied ethics. Through this article, Singer presents his view that we have the same moral obligations to those far away as we do to those close to us. He argues that choosing t to send life saving money to starving people on the other side of the earth is the moral equivalent of neglecting to save drowning children because we prefer t to muddy our shoes. If we can help, we must-and any excuse is hypocrisy. Singer's extreme stand on the standard of giving has become a powerful topic of discussion in modern philosophy and continues to challenge people's attitudes towards extreme poverty. As Bill and Melinda Gates observe in their foreword, Singer's essay is as relevant today as it ever was. This short edition provides a valuable collection of the original article, two of Singer's more popular writings on our obligations to those in poverty and a new introduction by Singer that advances the topic with his current thinking.
- Author BiographyPeter Singer has been described as the world's most influential philosopher. His books include Animal Liberation, Practical Ethics, Rethinking Life and Death, One World, The Life You Can Save, and The Point of View of the Universe. In 2014 the Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute ranked him third on its list of Global Thought Leaders, and Time has ranked him among the world's 100 most influential people.
- Author(s)Peter Singer
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication31/12/2015
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight160 g
- Width110 mm
- Height183 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Foreword byBill Gates,Melinda Gates
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.