All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn historical fiction vel that paints a vivid picture of life in the coal mining villages of Scotland in the early 1900s, and leads to life in the coal mines of Australia in the 1950s. FAR ACROSS THE SEA is a family saga that begins in Scotland in 1913, progresses through two world wars and follows a young man who takes up the offer of assisted passage to Australia as part of the Australian government's 'Populate or Perish' campaign after the second world war. One of the characters in the book joins the army in WWI to get away from the mines, only to find himself digging underground in France. Years after WWII had finished, food and clothing were still being rationed in Scotland, few people could afford to buy their own home and unemployment was high. When Australia put out the call for young men and families to populate its shores, with the lure of high employment and sunshine instead of rain and sw, many people took up the call. The hero of the vel, Willie, finds himself in Ipswich, Australia to work in the coal mines. The story is based on the author's own family history and is the sequel to her debut vel 'Ours, Yours and Mines' which took readers to the mid-1800s in the mines in Scotland, and described the heartbreak of families who lost loved ones to accidents and miner's lung, as well as tuberculosis. You don't need to have read the first vel to enjoy FAR ACROSS THE SEA. Even though it's a sequel, it's a stand-alone story with which many people will identify. The book has been dedicated to all the people who took up the challenges that they faced in their new country, adapted, worked hard and reaped the rewards of their toil, and also to the men and women who fought in WWI and WWII to keep us safe.
- Author BiographyCarmel McMurdo Audsley is an Australian Journalist, Editor and Author who lives in Brisbane with her husband Iain. They both had Scottish fathers, share a mutual love of Scotland and have walked in the footsteps of their ancestors in the country that they love to visit. As a Newspaper Journalist and Magazine Editor, Carmel has written, and had published, thousands of news stories and feature articles and has now turned her research and writing skills to digging up the past and breathing life into the characters she finds. Her first historical fiction novel, Ours, Yours and Mines, about the mining families of Ayrshire Scotland, was published in 2012 and captured the hearts of readers as the story unfolded about the harsh living conditions of the mid-1800s and the sad loss of life. Far Across The Sea continues the story. Carmel now devotes all her writing and editing time to producing Scots News Magazine for ex-pat Scots in Australia, and researching and writing historical fiction.
- Author(s)Carmel McMurdo Audsley
- Date of Publication11/05/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight290 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.