All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnthropology has long had a vexed relationship with literature, and where has this been more acutely felt than in France, where most ethgraphers, upon returning from the field, write t one book, but two: a scientific mograph and a literary account. In Far Afield - brought to English-language readers here for the first time - Vincent Debaene puzzles out this phemen, tracing the contours of anthropology and literature's mutual fascination and the ground upon which they meet in the works of thinkers from Marcel Mauss and Georges Bataille to Claude Levi-Strauss and Roland Barthes. The relationship between anthropology and literature in France is one of careful curiosity. Literary writers are wary about anthropologists' scientific austerity but intrigued by the objects they collect and the issues they raise, while anthropologists claim to be scientists but at the same time are deeply concerned with writing and representational practices. Debaene elucidates the richness that this curiosity fosters and the diverse range of writings it has produced, from Proustian memoirs to proto-surrealist diaries. In the end he offers a fascinating intellectual history, one that is itself located precisely where science and literature meet.
- Author BiographyVincent Debaene is associate professor of French at Columbia University. He is the critical editor of the Pleiade edition of the collected works of Claude Levi-Strauss. Justin Izzo is assistant professor of French Studies at Brown University.
- Author(s)Vincent Debaene
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication16/05/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight680 g
- Width90 mm
- Height60 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Translated byJustin Izzo
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.