All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $52.63Trending at AU $53.20
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.69
- AU $89.19Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $24.72
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $36.25
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers a new English translation of the Faroe-Islander Saga (Faereyinga Saga), one of the great medieval Icelandic sagas, written by an anymous Icelander in the early 13th-century. The saga tells the story of the first settlers on these wind-swept islands at the edge of the Scandinavian world, centered on the enduring animosity between Sigmundur Brestirsson and Thrandur of Gota, rival cheiftains whose bitter disagreements on the introduction of Christianity to the Faroe Islands set the stage for much violence and a feud which unfolds over generations of their descendants. This literary translation aims to make the saga-equally engaging and profound as the better kwn Njal's Saga or Grettir's Saga-accessible to a wider English readership. The translation is accompanied by a brief introduction, explanatory tes, genealogical and chrological tables, detailed maps, and an excerpt from Jomsviking's Saga which informs missing passages from the manuscripts of Faroe-Islander Saga.
- Author BiographyRobert K. Painter's translation work from German and Old Icelandic into English has appeared in journals of literary translation such as Exchanges and Metamorphoses. He teaches Linguistics at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- Author(s)Robert K. Painter
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication28/02/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight525 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.