All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFashion Design for Living explores the positive contribution that the contemporary fashion designer can make within society. The book seeks to reveal new ways of designing and making fashion garments and products that t only enhance and enrich our lives, but also are mindful of social and sustainable issues. This book sets out to question and challenge the dominant, conventional process of fashion design that as a practice has been under-researched. While the fashion designer in industry is primarily concerned with the creation of the new seasonal collection, designed, produced and measured by ecomically driven factors, society increasingly expects the designer to make a positive contribution to our social, environmental and cultural life. Consequently an emergent set of designers and research-based practitioners are beginning to explore new ways to think about fashion designing. The contributors within this book argue that fashion designing should move beyond developing garments that are just aesthetically pleasing or inexpensive, but also begin to consider and respond to the wearer's experiences, wellbeing, problems, desires and situations, and their engagement with and use of a garment. Fashion Design for Living champions new approaches to fashion practice by uncovering a rich and diverse set of views and reflective experiences which explore the changing role of the fashion designer and inspire fresh, invative and creative responses to fashion and the world we live in.
- Author BiographyAlison Gwilt is a fashion design academic, consultant and researcher exploring the integration of sustainable strategies across the lifecycle of fashion products. Her work focuses on the use of positive/sustainable design interventions within the fashion industry that challenge the current production and consumption paradigm. She has published widely in the field of sustainability and fashion, and her outputs include books, chapters, conference papers and articles published in the press and a number of international publications.Alison is Reader in Fashion and Sustainability at Sheffield Hallam University, UK Her books include Shaping Sustainable Fashion (edited with Timo Rissanen) published by Earthscan in 2011, A Practical Guide to Sustainable Fashion for Bloomsbury (2014) and forthcoming, Fashion Design for Living for Routledge (2014). As a curator and practitioner, she has been involved in a number of exhibitions and received competitive funding from organizations such as the Australian NSW State Government's Environmental Trust. Alison has a degree in fashion and textiles from Central St Martins College of Art in London, and a PhD from RMIT University, Melbourne, and her career in academia includes managing courses, researching and lecturing in fashion and textiles design in the UK, New Zealand and Australia. She currently holds the post of Reader in Fashion and Sustainability in the Art and Design Research Centre at Sheffield Hallam University, UK.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/11/2014
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEarthscan Ltd
- Content Note2 colour illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 3 black & white halftones, 50 colour illustrations, 3 black & white line drawings, 5 colour line drawings
- Weight544 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byAlison Gwilt
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.