Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.94
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.68
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.26
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $29.05Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.84
About this product
- Description'Fateful Flies' transports the Young and the Not-So-Young to a tropical paradise in the African Rift Valley. Local inhabitants, flora, fauna and wonderful scenery spring to life; but vicious bandits lurk behind baobabs. Enthralled at first in a happy, exotic holiday, readers end up chewing their fingernails. 'Fateful Flies' tells of dramatic days on a vast inland sea. The story is based on hair-raising events that really happened to the author and her son when they lived near the great lake and cruised on it in their sailing dinghy. Daphne's sympathetic and deep kwledge of the territory, its wildlife and romantic deserted islands, spins a spell that has the reader seeing, hearing, and even smelling the experiences that delight or terrify the cousins who are the stars this book. Huge grey clouds, like waterspouts, move omiusly across the waves. Each is made of millions of miniscule midges and if a cloud catches you, to breathe is to find your lungs full of the tiny creatures. You suffocate, drowned in minute insects. Other people, panic-stricken, escape as fast as possible from the fogs of gnats, but the cousins are actually planning to collect samples of the Lake Flies ! Are they mad? A terrifying cyclone and desperate guerrillas, so starved that they have resorted to cannibalism, combine to snarl the adventurers' idyllic holiday into a nightmare ordeal. Can the cousins overcome impossible odds? Deep, threatening war drums throb through the explosive ending.
- Author BiographyDaphne is well qualified to write about the Dark Continent. Her knowledge of and love for its fauna, flora, history and landscape of is evident in her writing. She was brought up in various parts of Africa and the Middle East where she and her family travelled widely, often camping in primitive locations. After secondary education and university in England she returned to Africa to become a teacher and university lecturer. Later she worked in Mallorca and still lives there. Fateful Flies reflects her (sometimes hairy) experiences when she sailed her GP14 dinghy on one of the vast inland seas of the African Rift Valley. She and her friends spent time on islands so deserted that animals and birds, unafraid of humans, roamed between their tents.
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication30/01/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.