Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionAt the risk of sounding frivolous, there is a good case to be made for the argument that women constitute the revolutionary force behind contemporary social and ecomic transformation. It is in large part the changing role of women that explains the new household structure, our altered demographic behaviour, the growth of the service ecomy and, as a consequence, the new dilemmas that the advanced societies face. Most European countries have failed to adapt adequately to the vel challenges and the result is an increasingly serious disequilibrium. Women explicitly desire ecomic independence and the societal collective, too, needs to maximise female employment. And yet, this runs up against severe incompatibility problems that then result in very low birth rates. Our aging societies need more kids, yet fertility levels are often only half of what citizens define as their desired number of children. No matter what happens in the next decade, we are doomed to have exceedingly small cohorts that, in turn, must shoulder the massive burden of supporting a retired baby-boom generation. Hence it is tantamount that tomorrow's adults be maximally productive and, yet, the typical EU member state invests very little in its children and families.
- Author(s)Dino Giovannini,Hilary Clarke,Jeanne Fagnani,Lis Hojgaard,Margret Fine-Davis
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/03/2004
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleSocial Indicators Research Series
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 21
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight719 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.