Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.26Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe publication of Robinson Crusoe in London in 1719 marked the arrival of a revolutionary art form: the vel. British writers were prominent in shaping the new type of storytelling - one which reflected the experiences of ordinary people, with characters in whom readers could find t only an escape, but a deeper understanding of their own lives. But the vel was more than just a reflection of British life. As Sebastian Faulks explains in this engaging literary and social history, it also helped invent the British. By focusing t on writers but on the people they gave us, Faulks t only celebrates the recently neglected act of velistic creation but shows how the most enduring fictional characters over the centuries have helped map the British psyche - through heroes from Tom Jones to Sherlock Holmes, lovers from Mr Darcy to Lady Chatterley, villains from Fagin to Barbara Covett and sbs from Emma Woodhouse to James Bond. Accompanying a major BBC series, Faulks on Fiction is a compelling and personal take on the story of how the dazzling creations of velists helped shape the world we live in. Characters included in the book are: Heroes - Robinson Crusoe, Tom Jones, Becky Sharp, Sherlock Holmes, Winston Smith ( 1984 ), Jim Dixon ( Lucky Jim ), John Self ( Money ); Lovers - Mr. Darcy, Heathcliff, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Lady Chatterley, Maurice Bendrix ( End of the Affair ), Anna Wulf ( The Golden Notebook ), Nick Guest ( The Line of Beauty ) Sbs - Emma Woodhouse, Pip ( Great Expectations ), Charles Pooter ( Diary of a Nobody ), Jeeves, Jean Brodie, James Bond, Chanu ( Brick Lane ); and, Villains - Richard Lovelace ( Clarissa ), Fagin, Count Fosco ( The Woman in White ), Steerpike ( Gormenghast Trilogy ), Ronald Merrick ( The Raj Quartet ), Jack Merridew ( Lord of the Flies ), and Barbara Covett ( Notes on a Scandal ).
- Author BiographySebastian Faulks was born in April 1953. Before becoming a full-time writer in 1991, he worked as a journalist. Sebastian Faulks's books include A Possible Life, Human Traces, On Green Dolphin Street, Engleby, Birdsong, A Week in December and Where My Heart Used to Beat.
- Author(s)Sebastian Faulks
- PublisherEbury Publishing
- Date of Publication27/01/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight631 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
- AU $21.70Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.