All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSocial phobia and disruptive social anxiety are features of the lives of many thousands of people. But exactly what is social phobia? What causes it? What is its nature and what kinds of treatments can improve it? Using key concepts and methods and a substantive body of research, this book aims to answer these questions and clarify social phobia by means of critical discussions and examination of evidence. It takes a sceptical stance towards the received view of social phobia as a species of disease caused by a deficient inner mechanism and considers an alternative construal of social phobia as a purposeful interpersonal pattern of self-overprotection from social threats. The possibility that social phobia might t actually exist in nature is also considered. Fearing Others will appeal to researchers, clinicians and students in clinical and health psychology and psychiatry.
- Author BiographyAriel Stravynski is Professor of Clinical Psychology in the Department of Psychology at the University of Montreal.
- Author(s)Ariel Stravynski
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2007
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note29 tables
- Weight743 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $19.30Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.