All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe astounding success of agricultural research has enabledfarmers to produce increasingly more-and more kinds-offood throughout the world. But with a projected 9 billion peopleto feed by 2050, veteran researcher Gale Buchanan fears thathuman confidence in this ample supply, especially in the US, hascreated unrealistic expectations for the future. Without a workingkwledge of what types and amounts of research producedthe bounty we enjoy today, we will t be prepared to supportthe research necessary to face the challenges ahead, includingpopulation growth, climate change, and water and energy scarcity. In this book, Buchanan describes the historical commitment toresearch and the phemenal changes it brought to our ability tofeed ourselves. He also prescribes a path for the future, pointingthe way toward an adequately funded, more creative agriculturalresearch system that involves scientists, administrators, educators,farmers, politicians, and consumers; resides in one standalone agency; enjoys a consistent funding stream; and operatesinternationally.
- Author BiographyGale A. Buchanan of Adel, Georgia, is former dean of the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and EnvironmentalSciences and former undersecretary at USDA. He is coauthor ofLeadership in Agriculture: Case Studies for a New Generation.
- Author(s)Gale A. Buchanan
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication29/02/2016
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleTexas A&M Agrilife Research and Extension Service Series
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note11 tables, 24 line art
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.