All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe place of drugs in American society is a problem more apt to evoke diatribe than dialog. With the support of the Na- tional Science Foundation's program on Ethics and Values in Science and Techlogy, and the National Endowment for the Humanities' program on Science, Techlogy, and Human Values, * The Hastings Center was able to sponsor such dialog as part of a major research into the ethics of drug use that spanned two years. We assembled a Research Group from leaders in the scientific, medical, legal, and policy com- munities, leavened with experts in applied ethics, and brought them together several times a year to discuss the moral, legal and social issues posed by ntherapeutic drug use. At times we also called on other experts when we needed certain issues clarified. We did t try to reach a consensus, yet several broad areas of agreement emerged: That our society's response to ntherapeutic drug use has been irrational and inconsistent; that our attempts at control have been clumsy and ill-informed; that many complex moral values are entwined in the debate and cant be reduced to a simple conflict between individual liberty and state paternalism. Of course each paper should be read as the statement of that particular author or authors. The views expressed in this book do t necessarily represent the views of The Hastings Center, the National Science Foundation, or the National En- dowment for the Humanities.
- Author(s)Ruth Macklin,Thomas H. Murray,Willard Gaylin
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication04/10/2011
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleContemporary Issues in Biomedicine, Ethics and Society
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight351 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1984
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.97
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.