All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFeldpost: The Wartime Letters of Friedrich Reiner Niemann documents the life and front line experiences of a German soldier from the 6th Infantry Division from 1941-1945. Niemann, a well-educated youth from a Westphalia family, was sent to the Russian front four times. He wrote his final two letters home from Poland on January 12, 1945 before he disappeared during the Soviet Vistula-Oder Offensive. In his extensive correspondence, Niemann describes the fighting at Rzhev, Russia, 1942-1943, and his survival of the destruction of his division during the Soviet summer offensive in 1944. His is a rare view of battles that annihilated entire German divisions and armies. After World War Two, the Niemann family preserved Reiner's letters and photographs and shipped them to New Orleans when Reiner's sister, Liselotte Andersson, had emigrated. Neglected in an attic for over fifty years, the documents surfaced only after Hurricane Katrina flooded the family house. Andersson's daughter-in-law, author Whitney Stewart, discovered the letters in 2012, and contacted Denis Havel to translate them. Together, Havel and Stewart uncovered historical details that enabled them to follow Reiner's trail and tell his story.
- Author BiographyDenis Havel graduated from Eastern Illinois University with a degree in psychology and has taught at both the high school and college level. An independent historian, Havel has studied German history, language and literature, and the Prussian-German military. He is currently active in German-American organizations, notably the Germania Mannerchor, that preserve German language and traditions.
- Author(s)Denis Havel
- PublisherFonthill Media
- Date of Publication21/04/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationToadsmoor Road
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFonthill Media
- Content Note60 black and white illustrations
- Weight626 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $45.70Trending at AU $72.17
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $80.10
- AU $21.26Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $94.39
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $21.28Trending at AU $22.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.