All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the ecomy constricts, it seems living with a chronic sense of fear and anxiety is the new rmal for a growing number of urban females. Many females are susceptible to victimization by cumulative strands of violence in school, their communities, families and partnerships. Exposure to violence has been shown to contribute to physical and mental health problems, a propensity for substance abuse, transience and homelessness, and unsurprisingly, poor school attendance and performance. What does a girl do when there is place to get away from this, and even school is a danger zone? Why have so many educators turned their attention away from the reality of violence against girls? Why is there a tendency to categorize such violence as just ather example of the general concept of bullying? Critical educators who research the effects of current market logics on the schooling of marginalized youth have yet fully to focus on this issue. This volume puts the reality of violence in the lives of urban school girls back on the map, investigates answers to the above questions, and presents suggestions for change.
- Author BiographyJulia Hall is Professor of Education Policy at D'Youville College. In her research she considers the school and community experiences of youth who have been economically and culturally marginalized in cities in the context of a rapidly changing economy. She is likewise focused on gendered violence and female students. Her books include Canal Town Youth: Community Organization and the Development of Adolescent Identity, Underprivileged Schoolchildren and the Assault on Dignity: Policy Challenges and Resistance, and Children's Human Rights and Public Schools in the United States.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/07/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Education, Neoliberalism, and Marxism
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Content Note2 black & white tables
- Weight402 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byJulia Hall
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.