All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor twenty-five years, Feminism and Nationalism in the Third World has been an essential primer on the late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century history of women's movements in Asia and the Middle East. In this engaging and well-researched survey, Kumari Jayawardena presents feminism as it originated in the Third World, erupting from the specific struggles of women fighting against colonial power, for education or the vote, for safety, and against poverty and inequality. Journalist and human rights activist Rafia Zakaria's foreword to this new edition is an impassioned letter in two parts: the first to Western feminists; the second to feminists in the Global South, entreating them to use this compendium of female courage as a bridge between women of different nations. Feminism and Nationalism in the Third World was chosen as one of the top twenty Feminist Classics of this Wave, 1970-1990, by Ms. magazine, and won the Feminist Fortnight Award in the UK.
- Author BiographyKumari Jayawardena is a leading feminist scholar, active in the women's and civil rights movements in Sri Lanka. A graduate of the London School of Economics and the Institut de Science Politique in Paris, she taught in the political science and women's studies programs at Colombo University.
- Author(s)Kumari Jayawardena
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication13/09/2016
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Weight367 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.