Festung Guernsey: The Fortifications of Guernsey-East Coast - St Martins Point to St Sampsons: 3.1 & 3.2 by The Clear Vue Publishing Partnership Limited (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.73Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $21.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is unique amongst all volumes on German fortifications of the Second World War, in that it was written by the German forces themselves. It is the ultimate guide to their defensive planning and mindset. The Channel Islands of Guernsey and Jersey nestle in the lee of the French coast. They are, however, British and in 1940 they became the first and only British territory to be occupied by the rapidly moving armies of Hitler's blitzkrieg. Hitler swiftly became obsessed by his conquest. Determined that they should t be retaken he set in place a massive series of fortifications designed to make the islands impregnable fortresses or Festung, as part of the Atlantic Wall. The Atlantic Wall ran for over three thousand miles, but by 1944 the tiny Channel Islands had consumed nearly 10% of all the concrete destined for the wall. They also contained the largest single garrison of the German Army and more heavy guns than 600 miles of Normandy coastline. In 1944 Lieutenant Colonel Hubner was charged with making a record of the immense fortifications. His team was drawn from the Divisionskartenstelle, the Divisional Cartographic Section, with some fourteen n-commissioned officers working across: drawing, photography, cartography, calligraphy and printing. The result is a stunning and comprehensive picture of the fortifications and a complete guide to their workings. Festung Guernsey consists of 22 chapters and was originally published as a limited edition of 135, two-volume sets, bound in leather. The original work, being made by hand was only printed on the right hand pages, this means we have been able to provide a full translation on the left hand page, while retaining the original layout. This paperback version consists of 10 separate volumes, each consisting of 1,2 or 3 chapters and replicates the page numbering of the original edition. Festung Guernsey is the guide to the fortifications built on the British Channel Island of Guernsey written by the German occupying forces during the Second World War. Their defensive work made the islands the most fortified place on earth and this 10 volume paperback series, reproduces and fully translates the original manuscript, presenting an unique opportunity to study the German Army's defensive thinking and the fortifications they built. This first part covers the coastal fortifications along the east coast from St Martins Point to St Sampsons.
- PublisherThe Clear Vue Publishing Partnership Limited
- Date of Publication01/05/2012
- LanguageEnglish & German
- Series TitleFestung Guernsey
- Place of PublicationSt Peter Port
- Country of PublicationJersey
- ImprintThe Clear Vue Publishing Partnership Limited
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.54Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $32.25Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $15.04Trending at AU $16.94
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $31.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.