All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOriginally published in 1945 and w reissued with a new introduction by the author, Jade Sw Wongs story is one of struggle and achievements. These memoirs of the authors first twenty-four years are thoughtful, informative, and highly entertaining. They t only portray a young woman and her unique family in San Franciscos Chinatown, but they are rich in the details that light up a world within the world of America. The third-person singular style is rooted in Chinese literary form, reflecting cultural disregard for the individual, yet Jad Sw Wongs story also is typically American. We first meet Jade Sw Wong the child, narrowly confined by the family and factory life, bound to respect and obey her elders while shouldering responsibility for younger brothers and sisters - a solemn child well versed in the proper order of things, who knew that punishment was sure for any infraction of etiquette. Then the schoolgirl caught in confusion between the rigid teaching of her ancestors and the strange ways of her foreign classmates. After that the college student feeling her was toward personal identity in the face of parental indifference or outright opposition. And finally the artist whose early triumphs were doubled by the kwledge that she had at long last won recognition from her family.
- Author(s)Jade Snow Wong
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication01/05/1989
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Content NoteIll.
- Weight295 g
- Width140 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.