All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEverybody has got to die, but I have always believed an exception would be made in my case. --William Saroyan, Pulitzer Prize--winning author Famous authors, like everybody else, kw that one day they will die. Final Chapters tells the fascinating stories of more than one hundred writers' encounters with death--and their attitudes toward the Grim Reaper: fear, uncertainty, or acceptance. Francis Bacon wrote, It is as natural to die as to be born, while Socrates told the judges who condemned him, And w we go our ways, I to die and you to live. Which is better is kwn to God alone. Death often came in startling ways for these well-kwn writers. The playwright Aeschylus was conked by a turtle falling from the sky. Christopher Marlowe was stabbed in a barroom brawl. Moliere collapsed while playing the role of a hypochondriac in one of his plays. Edgar Allan Poe was found semicomatose in someone else's clothes shortly before he died. Sherwood Anderson was felled by a toothpick in a martini. Did Dylan Thomas really die of eighteen straight whiskeys? And was it a bottle cap or murder that did in Tennessee Williams? If these authors have lessons for us, the best may be that of Marcus Aurelius: Death smiles at us all; all we can do is smile back.
- Author BiographyJim Bernhard is the author of Puns, Puzzles, and Word Play: Fun and Games for Language Lovers; Porcupine, Picayune, & Post: How Newspapers Get Their Names; and, with his wife, Virginia, Life Is NOT a Dress Rehearsal: 10 Lists to Make Before Your Final Exit. He has an MA in English literature from the University of Birmingham in England, where he was a Marshall Scholar, and a BA from Rice University. Bernhard is also a playwright, lyricist, actor, theatrical manager, and crossword puzzle constructor. He resides in Houston, Texas.
- Author(s)Jim Bernhard
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication13/10/2015
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Content NoteB&W photos throughout, B&W illustrations throughout
- Weight414 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.