All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo issue in higher education is as salient, or as controversial, as finance. As demand for higher education around the world grows, so do the costs associated with it, especially as governments shoulder less of the burden. Tuition fees rise and student loan debt grows. Who pays for these surging costs? Who should pay? D. Bruce Johnstone and Pamela N. Marcucci examine the universal phemen of cost-sharing in higher education-where financial responsibility shifts from governments and taxpayers to students and families. They find that growing costs for education far outpace public revenue streams that once supported it. Even with financial aid and scholarships defraying some of these costs, students are responsible for a greater share of the cost of higher education. Featuring comprehensive ecomic and policy data, the authors' international comparative approach shows how ecomically diverse countries all face similar cost-sharing challenges. So, who should pay for higher education? While cost-sharing is both politically and ideologically debated, Johnstone and Marcucci contend that, for almost all countries, it is imperative for the financial health of colleges and universities, bringing better efficiency, equity, and responsiveness. Financing Higher Education Worldwide combines sophisticated ecomic explanations with sensitive political and cultural analyses of the financial pressures facing higher education throughout the world.
- Author BiographyD. Bruce Johnstone is SUNY Distinguished Service Professor of Higher and Comparative Education Emeritus at the State University of New York at Buffalo, author of Financing Higher Education: Cost-Sharing in International Perspective, and coeditor of In Defense of American Higher Education, also published by Johns Hopkins. Pamela N. Marcucci is project manager of the State University of New York at Buffalo's International Comparative Higher Education Finance and Accessibility Project. The Project, directed by Professor Johnstone, is recognized worldwide as a source of descriptive and theoretical studies of tuition fees, financial aid, and student loans.
- Author(s)D. Bruce Johnstone,Pamela N. Marcucci
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication11/06/2010
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note1, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
- AU $15.69Trending at AU $23.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.