All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn towns and cities across North America, a quiet revolution is underway. Fed up with sending their money off to make a fast buck in faraway markets, people are putting their money to work where they live, in markets they trust and understand starting with food. This is a collection of real life stories of these Slow Money pioneers and the local food entrepreneurs sustainable farmers, bakers and restaurateurs they have chosen to support. Fuelled by their desire to do more than just eat local food, lenders of nurture capital are making low-interest, peer-to-peer loans to the people who produce, process, distribute and sell local food. Meet passionate food entrepreneurs like: Abi, talented artist-turned-baker, who borrowed the funds to start a gluten-free bakery; Angelina, owner of a Greek local foods restaurant, who refinanced exorbitant credit card debt incurred by revations; Chatham Marketplace, a much-loved grocery co-op whose monthly loan payments were reduced by a third, thanks to an ambitious collaboration between 16 investors. This book tells the compelling stories of ordinary people doing something extraordinary, and will appeal to anyone who understands the critical importance of sustainably grown local food and resilient local ecomies, and wants a blueprint to get us there.
- Author BiographyCarol Peppe Hewitt is a business owner, social entrepreneur and life-long activist. She is cofounder of Slow Money NC which works to finance North Carolina's sustainable food and farming economy by connecting individuals committed to building local food systems with entrepreneurs who have compelling needs for capital. Growing up in rural Northwest Connecticut, Carol watched as working farms disappeared one by one. She now works to change that trend, guiding patient capital to small-scale farmers and businesses in North Carolina.
- Author(s)Carol Peppe Hewitt
- PublisherNew Society Publishers
- Date of Publication02/05/2013
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationGabriola Island
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Society Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight358 g
- Width230 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.86Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.