All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the masses still lining up to enter mega-churches with ware-house-like architecture, casually dressed clergy, and pop Christian music, the Post-Boomer generation - those ranging in age from twenty to forty - is having second thoughts. In this perceptive look at the evolving face of Christianity in contemporary culture, sociologists Richard Flory and Donald E. Miller argue that we are on the verge of ather potential revolution in how Christians worship and associate with one ather.Just as the formative experiences of Baby Boomers were colored by such things as the war in Vietnam, the 1960s, and a dramatic increase in their opportunities for individual expression, so Post-Boomers have grown up in less structured households with working (often divorced) parents. These childhood experiences leave them craving authentic spiritual experience, rather than entertainment, and also cause them to question institutions. Flory and Miller develop a typology that captures four current approaches to the Christian faith and argue that this generation represents a new religious orientation of expressive communalism, in which they seek spiritual experience and fulfillment in community and through various expressive forms of spirituality, both private and public.
- Author BiographyRichard Flory is a research associate in the Center for Religion and Civic Culture a the University of Southern California. Donald E. Miller is Firestone Professor of Religion and executive director of the Center for Religion and Civic Culture at the University of Southern California.
- Author(s)Donald E. Miller,Richard W. Flory
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2008
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note11 photographs
- Weight395 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.