All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJust a century ago, scholars believed that civilization in the Indus Valley began three thousand years ago during the Vedic Age. But in the autumn of 1924, John Marshall made an anuncement that rocked the understanding of the ancient world and pushed back the boundaries of Indian history by two thousand years more: the discovery of the civilization at Harappa, located in present-day Sindh and Punjab, Pakistan. A sophisticated culture dating back to 2600 BC, this ancient city was table for its well-planned streets and for having the oldest kwn urban sanitation system. Based on previously unkwn archival materials, Finding Forgotten Cities t only details an archaeological discovery on the same scale as Troy, but introduces us to the colorful cast of characters who made it possible and overcame the challenges and travails of this colossal excavation. Nayanjot Lahiri's fascinating history includes tales of self-taught archaeologists like Charles Masson, the collector who first described an ancient Indus Valley culture, as well as Alexander Cunningham, the archaeological pioneer who first excavated Harappa with diggers Daya Ram Sahni, Rakhaldas Banerji, and Madho Sarup Vats in the 1850s. And at the center of Lahiri's story is John Marshall, a Cambridge classicist brought by Lord Curzon to India to lead the Archaeological Survey of India and the man who finally pieced together the truth about this long-forgotten civilization. Spanning nearly a century, Finding Forgotten Cities presents a powerful narrative history of one of the key sites of the ancient world that offers interesting insight into the origins of modern civilization.
- Author BiographyNayanjot Lahiri is professor of history at the University of Delhi. She is the author of The Archaeology of Indian Trade Routes up to c. 200 BC and the editor of both The Decline and Fall of the Indus Civilization and, with Upinder Singh, Ancient India: New Research.
- Author(s)Nayanjot Lahiri
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication02/07/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Content Note50 halftones
- Weight370 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.