All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany photographers have been intrigued with the baffling distortions--both subtle and disquieting--that can occur when the camera captures the real world. Not always intentional, some images dazzle with impossible juxtapositions or disorienting spatial orders, while others confound the viewer's belief in the documentary promise of photography. Drawn from the highly respected collection of Allan Chasaff, the photographs in this intriguing volume confront viewers with the challenge of doubt and confusion in so-called straight pictures. Featured are perceptually provocative images by Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Clarence John Laughlin, Imogen Cunningham, and Lee Friedlander, among others. The book's essays raise awareness of the interpretive nature of the lens and the interpolative nature of the medium.
- Author BiographyJoshua Chuang is the Assistant Curator of Photographs at the Yale University Art Gallery. Allan Chasanoff is a conceptual photographer, collector, and protagonist. Steven W. Zucker is the David and Lucile Packard Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at Yale University.
- Author(s)Joshua Chuang
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication02/01/2009
- Series TitleYale University Art Gallery
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note77 black & white illustrations + 9 colour images
- Weight1383 g
- Width216 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.11Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.01Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.