All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst of the Few covers air operations during the month or so before the 'official' start of the Battle of Britain, 5 June to 9 July 1940, a period rmally overlooked. The Battle of France commenced 5 June and the handful of RAF Hurricane and Battle squadrons that remained in France were heavily engaged as were Spitfire, Hurricane and Blenheims flying in support from the UK. Meanwhile, the Luftwaffe commenced intermittent cturnal raids over eastern and rth-eastern counties of England, resulting in the first night actions by RAF Blenheim night fighters. In the other direction, RAF night bombers were making forays over Germany and the occupied Low Countries. During the first week of July, Luftwaffe reconnaissance aircraft were overflying the south-east coastal areas and harrying shipping in the Channel. All of these actions are highlighted in First of the Few, many of the RAF aircrews experiencing combat for the first time survived as the 'first of the few' to participate in the forthcoming defence of Britain. The scene was thus set for one of the greatest battles in history - one that was to save the world from Nazi domination - the Battle of Britain.
- Author BiographyBrian Cull is a full-time writer/researcher with twenty-five plus published titles to his credit on Second World War aviation history. He lives with his wife, Val, in Bury St Edmunds, a charming and historical town in Suffolk, with the countryside just down the road. Formerly a very active cricketer, he now resorts to TV and Internet coverage. He shares his daily routine with Val, his cat, and three pet rabbits. Cull's first book for Fonthill Media was Fighters over the Aegean: Hurricanes over Crete, Spitfire over Kos, Beaufighters over the Aegean 1943-44.
- Author(s)Brian Cull
- PublisherFonthill Media
- Date of Publication01/03/2012
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationToadsmoor Road
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFonthill Media
- Content Note30 black and white photographs
- Weight480 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $21.32Trending at AU $23.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.