All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFisheries Management is a beautifully-produced full colour guide to the management of still-water coarse fisheries. Carefully compiled by three leading specialists, who each draw on many years experience, this book is an essential purchase for all still water coarse fisheries managers. The correct management of still waters and their fisheries is vital to ensure environmental protection and an appropriate level of stocking densities of healthy fish. This new book provides the reader with the necessary information to achieve these goals.
The book's first part covers the ecology of still waters and includes succinct and user-friendly information on physical and chemical processes, nutrient cycles, energy movements, trophic levels, bacteria, plants, invertebrates, fish, disease-causing organisms, mammals and birds.
Part two provides in depth, but easily assimilated cutting edge information, on how a still-water fishery should be set up, developed and successfully managed. Coverage includes development, preparation and construction; stock assessment and invertebrate survey; control of water quality, aquatic plants, erosion, predators and nuisance species; management of the impact of climate change; fish disease and biosecurity; control of fishing activities, fish nutrition, fishery enhancement and condition improvement, and general administration.
The final part of this excellent manual covers legal and social frameworks including general and environmental legislation, direct fisheries-related legislation, and agencies and organizations.
Fisheries Management provides fishery managers with an invaluable, practical tool which ne should be without. Students studying fisheries biology, fisheries management and aquatic sciences will find this a very useful learning resource, as will all those who are considering buying or building and setting up lakes for fisheries. All libraries in universities, research establishments and government agencies where fisheries and biological sciences are studied and taught should have copies of this landmark publication on their shelves. * Editor and authors with many years practical experience * Vital and commercially important information for fisheries managers * A useful reference source for upper level students and academics * Covers an important multi-million pound industry across many countries
- Author BiographyAsh Girdler runs the AGA Group, one of the UK's largest fishery management consultancies and practitioners, with a contracting arm carrying out habitat creation and restoration amongst a wide variety of related disciplines, from a 70 acre aquatic nursery and fish farming base in Norfolk, UK.
Ian Wellby runs Blueroof Ltd, a consultancy specialising in fisheries management, as well as teaching at various colleges in the UK.
Robin Welcomme served with the Inland Fisheries and Aquaculture Service of FAO for 30 years and eventually came to head the unit. He is now Visiting Researcher with Imperial College, UK, working on inland fisheries, and is Honorary Secretary of the Institute for Fisheries Management.
- Author(s)Ash Girdler,Ian Wellby,Robin Welcomme
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2009
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Place of PublicationChicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
- Content Note125 illustrations
- Weight1172 g
- Width196 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30